If I learned anything this year, it’s that comedy is everywhere and it’s for everyone! Sure we may push a certain brand here at Toofar, but that’s just because we know how much unmined talent there is in this country. Truth is, Toofar’s co-founder Danny and I have pretty different opinions when it comes to comedy. As a standup himself, he loves artistically ambitious material that challenges you to think, where as I tend to respond instinctively and emotionally to a good fart joke. Are either of us wrong? Yeah ok, maybe I am, but still…fuck it! It’s time to celebrate our differences.
That being said, the Just For Laughs Fesitval is on the way and there really is something there for everyone. Now unless you’ve been living in a cave without internet, chances are you’re aware of some of the names on the lineup. There’s Neil Patrick Harris, Sir Patrick Stewart and a bunch of comics not named Patrick, including Kevin Hart and Dave Chappelle. But have you had a chance to dig deeper into the jfl site? Do you even know about ComedyPRO, the four day industry event that includes Silicon Valley and Undateable panels, tons of live podcasts and sit downs with top writers and execs in the business? Ah yeah it’s awesome. It’s also crazy and overwhelming.
That’s exactly why I’m pushing this whole #JFLGAMEPLAN thing! See if you’re brain is anything like mine, than it most likely resembles a scrambled shitstorm of a Jackson Pollock painting. So when it comes to something as fun as JFLMTL, the best thing we can do for ourselves is get organized!
Soooo… to encourage you, and thanks to the incredible organizers of JFL ComedyPRO, I whipped together this lil contest. Really all you have to do is share your #JFLGAMEPLAN with us on our Facebook or Twitter page, and you can win a pair of passes to ComedyPRO July 22-25th. It’s easy. Snap a pic of your scribbled list, or your tickets. Send us a string of names on twitter or a short story on Facebook. Whatever you like. Just take this opportunity to cruise the Just For Laughs site, buy some show tickets and make a #JFLGAMEPLAN (Ok, I promise that’s the last time I will use that hashtag here.)
I guess all that’s left to do is formulate my own uh’ itinerary, so here it goes…
Thursday July 23rd
2. ComedyPro’s Comedy Series Gold Rush: Because development heads from HBO, Fox, Hulu, CTV and Gary Sanchez Productions will be there to discuss sitcoms. It’s a no brainer for any comedy writer. Drunk History’s Owen Burke will be there and I may have a small crush on Suzanna Makkos, head of Fox Development. Forget Chappelle and Kevin Hart. These are my festival rockstars.
3. New Faces – Because so many incredible acts have come out of past New Faces…like I dunno say half the team of The Daily Show? Including Trevor Noah. It’s a great place to kick back and watch careers about to explode!
4. Brian Posehn – Because I love big lovable stoners… That goes for you too Ron Funches and K Trevor Wilson!
5. Jeffrey Ross Roast Invitational – Cause he’s the best roaster on the planet and you know Pete Davidson is gonna pop in at some point.
Friday July 24th
6. Andy Kindler – Because year in and year out his ComedyPRO State of the Industry Address is the highlight of the festival.
7. Just For Laughs Award Show. Because star-gazing is fun.
8. Margaret Cho – Because it’s one night only and she’s just so good at what she does. Plus last time I saw her in Vancouver she pulled off her pants.
9, Jason Reitman’s Big Lebowski Live Read . Because Michael Fassbender is playing “The Dude” and my Chiquita is making me go.
Saturday July 25th
10. Silicon Valley at ComedyPRO – Why? Cause I like everything Mike Judge touches.
11. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon – Because come Saturday Night I have a feeling I might be starting to burn out and the thought of sitting in a cool movie theatre for a bit already sounds appealing. Plus at the age of 12, I discovered my body to National Lampoon, so I figure I owe them at least a bucket full of gratitude.
Sunday July 26th
12. Norm Macdonald Gala – Cause Dirty Work is still one of my all time faves and JB Smoove has been added to the lineup!
Anyway, I figure 12 events is a pretty realistic number to try to stick to without keeling over and dying. If I stay nimble and avoid Sangria hangovers and smoked meat comas, I’ve got a few more acts I’d love to see, namely Rupaul’s Drag Race winner Bianca Del Rio on the Variety’s Top 10 panel and the cast of NBC’s Undateable in their panel.
Alternatively, I can just scrap this whole dumb plan and stick to seeing only beautiful Canadians at the fest. There’s Mike Myers, Jon Dore, Mike Wilmot, K Trevor Wilson, Harland William and Darcy Michael just to name a few…not to mention all the up-and-comers in the Homegrown Competition. Either way, I can’t go wrong.
So that’s pretty much it…now hop on Facebook and Twitter and win yourself some ComedyPRO tickets!